Surrey Street, Coydon
Croydon, Surrey, CR0 1R
Number of modules – 64
The mixed scheme development, providing private sale, shared ownership and housing association units, occupies an L-shaped site in between the main market street in Croydon and an NCP car park.
Due to the tight nature of the site a 500 tonne crane was used to lift the modules into place with deliveries taking place at night.
One of the unusual aspects of this project was that stair and lift shaft modules were extended through the concrete plinth to level -1, which meant that with an in-situ staircase, instant access was provided to the modular structure above modular construction.
One bedroom apartments, were self contained in one complete module, with an external walkway constructed for access. Due to the nature of the site, one elevation was tapered and as a consequence individual modules were designed to provide the required facade.
Our client’s aspirations were to achieve EcoHomes Very Good Standard. A range of measures were employed to achieve this including:
• 33% improvement on U-values above Building Regulations.
• 650 sq m of green roof and 60 m sq of brown roof.
• Low voltage lighting within apartments and compact downlighters in public areas
• FSC timber procured (Caledonian has full FSC certification).
• Caledonian modular construction elements have Green Guide A & B ratings.
• Home office provision.
• Low ozone depleting materials which are standard within the modular construction.
• A range of external measures including recycling provision, rainwater harvesting, easy access to shops and the local transport network.
BREEAM rating: Very Good